Welcome to your guide to a healthier, beach-ready body for the British summer of 2023. As the sun starts to shine and the days get longer, it’s the perfect time to prioritise health, fitness, and overall well-being. Follow these tips and you’ll be ready to hit the beaches with confidence!
1. Nutrition: Food as Fuel
- Eat Seasonal Produce: Summer offers an abundance of fruits and vegetables in the UK.
- Enjoy strawberries, raspberries, lettuce, courgettes, and peas, among others.
Stay Hydrated: The summer heat can be dehydrating. Make sure to consume at least 8 glasses of water daily. You can also hydrate with water-rich fruits like watermelon.
- Mindful Eating: Rather than restricting any food groups, practice portion control and listen to your hunger cues.
- Limit Processed Foods: Opt for whole foods with fewer additives and preservatives.
2. Physical Activity: Get Moving!
- Outdoor Activities: Take advantage of the lovely weather. Walk, run, cycle, or swim – pick an activity that you enjoy.
- Strength Training: This will help tone your muscles and increase your metabolic rate. Aim for 2-3 times a week.
- Yoga & Pilates: Great for flexibility, balance, and core strength, these exercises are also fantastic for mental relaxation.
3. Mindfulness & Mental Well-being
- Meditation: Take a few minutes every day to meditate. The calm summer mornings are perfect for this.
- Sleep: Ensure you get 7-9 hours of sleep. Sleep is crucial for recovery and weight management.
- Limit Screen Time: Spend more time outdoors and less time in front of screens. This can improve your mood and reduce eye strain.
4. Lifestyle Choices:
- Limit Alcohol: While it’s tempting to indulge in summer cocktails, remember that alcohol can add unnecessary calories.
- Sun Safety: While it’s important to get some sun for vitamin D, remember to wear sunscreen and protect your skin from UV rays.
- Stay Social: Engage in social activities, even if it’s just a picnic in the park or a walk with friends. Being social can boost your mood and motivation.
5. Stay Consistent & Set Goals:
- Set SMART Goals: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound. Having a clear goal will help maintain motivation.
- Routine: Establish a daily routine to ensure you’re consistently working towards your health goals.
- Track Progress: Use a journal or an app to monitor your food intake, physical activity, and mental well-being
6. Supplements (Optional)
- Always consult with a healthcare professional before introducing any supplements. Some people benefit from vitamin D supplements during UK summers, especially if they’re indoors a lot.
Achieving a beach-ready body is not solely about aesthetics. It’s about feeling good both inside and out. This summer, prioritise both your physical and mental well-being. The beach will be waiting, and you’ll be ready to enjoy it to the fullest!